St. James (RC) is a public school on church property. Educational services were being offered by the Missionary Sisters of the Assumption in Schauderville in 1939. The school is the last Catholic Secondary School for multi-racial pupils in the Northern Areas of Port Elizabeth and therefore draws pupils from all areas and from all denominations. The existing buildings belong to the Sisters, but are used exclusively for education. The school was known as St. James Vocational Girls High School. St. James gradually evolved into what it now is: a secondary school for girls, with an enrolment of 563 girls. Learners come from Schauderville itself as well as other suburbs in the so-called “northern areas” of Port Elizabeth, and African townships further afield. All these areas are economically deprived and unemployment is very high.